- Cultures For Health Real Kefir Starter Culture - 2 Packets
Cultures For Health Real Kefir Starter Culture - 2 Packets
It’s like yogurt, yet so far from it. Milk kefir provides different cultures (and more of them!) and has a distinctly different consistency. In fact, some call it the “drinkable yogurt,” because it’s much thinner. But like yogurt, milk kefir can be used to make a smoothie, a bowl of ice cream or even a loaf of banana bread.
To make your own milk kefir, you’ll need milk kefir grains. The milk kefir grains aren’t really grains at all – no gluten, here! But the combo of bacteria and yeast creates a gelatinous mass that resembles grains. If you’d rather not maintain the milk kefir grains (hint: they require daily feedings), you can use this easy-peasy powdered starter culture.
Total fermentation time: 12 - 16 hours
Active, hands-on time: about 5 - 10minutes
What will I need to get started?
- 1 packet powdered kefir starter culture
- Quart-size glass jar (or other large container)
- 1 quart dairy milk (pasteurized is best; avoid ultra-pasteurized), coconut milk, coconut water or fruit juice
- Coffee filter or tight-weave cloth
- Rubber band