Instant Pot® Classic Braised Brisket
Move over, oven! The Instant Pot® is your secret to a tender, braised brisket without the long wait. Plus, it frees up the oven for side dishes, dessert and more.
Serves: 6Prep: 25 minutesCook: 2 hours 20 minutesTotal: 2 hours 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 1/2 pounds brisket, trimmed of excess fat, patted dry
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Kroger® Vegetable Oil
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into quarters
- 3 ribs celery, cut into quarters
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 cup beef broth
- Season brisket with salt and pepper.
- Select Instant Pot® SAUTÉ function and heat oil. Sear brisket until well browned, about 6-8 minutes per side. Remove meat and set aside. Add onion, carrot, celery and garlic to the pot, cooking 2-3 minutes until fragrant. Add tomato paste and cook 1 minute.
- Stir in wine and beef broth, working up any brown bits from the bottom. Return meat to the pot. Twist lid to seal.
- Select MANUAL function and set timer for 70 minutes. Allow to naturally depressurize.
- Remove brisket from pot. Tent with foil and allow to rest. Switch pot to SAUTÉ function, allowing sauce to reduce. Use an immersion blender to puree vegetables if desired. Slice brisket against the grain and serve with sauce.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
- Tip: Make this dish Passover-approved by using Kosher for Passover ingredients.