Molé Roast Turkey
Spice up your Thanksgiving table with a sweet and spicy twist on roasted turkey.
Serves: 10Prep: 30 minutesCook: 3 hours 30 minutesTotal: 4 hoursDifficulty: Easy
- 1 can (8 oz.) Kroger® Tomato Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Kroger® Sugar Free Baking Cocoa
- 1 tablespoon Kroger® Creamy Peanut Butter
- 1 tablespoon Kroger® Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ancho chiles
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon Kroger® Dry Oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Kroger® Garlic Powder
- 3 tablespoons Kroger® Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 13 pounds turkey
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 6 tablespoons Kroger® Unsalted Butter, divided
- 4 cups Kroger® Chicken Stock, divided
- 3 tablespoons flour
- In a small bowl, stir together tomato sauce, cocoa, peanut butter, chili powder, ancho chile powder, onion powder, oregano, garlic powder and olive oil.
- Heat oven to 450°F. Salt and pepper the turkey inside and out and place in a roasting pan. Rub turkey inside and out with the molé sauce. Melt 3 tablespoons butter and drizzle over turkey. Pour ¼ cup stock in bottom of pan.
- Roast turkey 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°F. Cover loosely with foil and continue roasting 45 minutes longer. Remove foil, add ¼ cup stock to pan and continue roasting 2 hours longer, basting with pan juices every 30 minutes. If pan gets dry, add more stock and roast until internal temperature of the breast is 160°F. Remove turkey to platter and tent with foil to keep warm.
- Make the gravy. Add two cups of stock to roasting pan and stir, scraping up browned bits. Skim off fat. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour until smooth. Whisk in pan juices and broth mixture. Bring to a boil, whisk and cook 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat. Taste and add salt if needed. Serve with turkey. Refrigerate any leftovers.