Spinach, Mushroom and Fontina Flatbread
Topped with a fontina sauce, melted cheese, baked mushrooms and sautéed fresh baby spinach leaves, these artisan flatbread pizzas are easy to make and loaded with gourmet flavor.
Serves: 6Prep: 20 minutesCook: 30 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 1/2 cups shredded fontina cheese, divided
- 12 ounces button mushrooms, quartered
- 1/2 cup olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic, divided
- 2 teaspoons minced shallot, divided
- 4 sprigs thyme, chopped and divided
- 6 cups baby spinach
- Ground Pepper
- 6 pieces (8") flatbread or naan
- 1 tablespoon Sprite®
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In medium pot over medium heat, melt butter. Whisk in flour to make roux. Cook until sandy texture appears.
- Whisk in whole milk; cook to thicken.
- Turn heat to low. Stir in 1 cup fontina cheese; whisk until cheese has fully melted. Set aside.
- Toss mushrooms with ¼ cup olive oil, 1 teaspoon garlic, 1 teaspoon shallots and 2 chopped sprigs of thyme. On sheet pan, arrange in single layer; roast 10 minutes.
- In large sauté pan, combine 1 teaspoon garlic and 1 teaspoon shallots. Cook until translucent. Stir in spinach; cook until wilted. Season with salt and pepper.
- Using a towel, squeeze excess water from cooked spinach. Let cool.
- On each flat bread, spoon a thin layer of fontina sauce. Top each with wilted spinach, quarter cup fontina cheese and roasted mushrooms. Bake 6 to 8 minutes, until bottom of flatbreads crisp. Serve with a refreshing Sprite.