Vegan “Cheesy” Broccoli Soup
Cashews lend a creamy richness to this soup without the need for cream, and nutritional yeast gives a cheesy flavor without the use of cheese.
Serves: 6Prep: 25 minutesCook: 20 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 1⁄2 cups raw cashews
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup Simple Truth™ Nutritional Yeast Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 large carrots, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 12 ounces broccoli florets, cut into bite size pieces
- Soak cashews in boiling hot water for at least 30 minutes.
- Drain cashews and place in blender with ¾ cup fresh water and nutritional yeast. Blend until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a 4-quart or larger saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, garlic, salt and pepper. Cook 4-6 minutes until fragrant and tender.
- Stir in broth and bring to a simmer. Add broccoli and cook 5-7 minutes until broccoli is tender.
- Stir in cashew mixture. Allow to cook for another few minutes or until thickened. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Refrigerate leftovers.